Wednesday, September 21, 2005
War News for Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Bring ‘em on: Iraqi police and US military patrol attacked by small arms fire in Baghdad’s Mansour neighborhood, leading to fighting that lasted through the morning and into the afternoon, with US helicopters firing 30mm rounds into the area, no word on casualties. Two Iraqi police commandoes killed in drive by shooting in western
Bring ‘em on: Two US soldiers wounded when their convoy was targeted by a roadside bomb in the Abu Ghraib area of
Bring ‘em on: Activist said to be an Al-Qaeda chief killed in Haditha, along with two gunmen and a child. Another gunman was wounded. (It is interesting that the child reported as killed in this report was said to be used as a shield which is the same claim made regarding the child reported killed in the first post above, although that incident took place in
Bring ‘em on: Civilian death toll in
Bring ‘em on: The US army has been conducting operations, including air strikes, since Tuesday in the Al-Jabour district of Dhuluiyah. US forces have sealed off the area since four civilian contractors were killed and two others, in addition to two soldiers, were wounded in 'a complex attack on a Combat Logistic Patrol' in Dhuluiyah yesterday. One Iraqi police officer was detained during the incident for drawing his weapon on a
Bring ‘em on: Two policemen from the Elite Unit killed and three wounded when they were attacked by gunmen in the Shula district, northwestern
Demonstration: About 500 civilians and policemen, some waving pistols and AK-47s, rallied Wednesday in the southern city of
Attacks by insurgents continued in and around
The demonstrators in
Some of the protesters met with the
Clashes between British forces and Iraqi police have killed five civilians, including two who died of their injuries Wednesday in a hospital, authorities said.
Tal Afar: Nearly 1,500 displaced Iraqi families have returned to the northern city of Talafar after Coalition forces ended an operation to rout insurgents hiding there, but the returnees said dozens of their homes had been totally destroyed. The Iraq Red Crescent Society (IRCS) said on Tuesday that despite the returns, thousands of displaced people were still living in camps surviving on aid from various humanitarian organisations. One of the main IRCS camps near the city, which is located just 60 km from the Syrian border, was half-empty. The camp, with 750 tents, housed 3,000 families at the height of the recent fighting. "We don't have full information on what returnees are finding there [in Talafar]. Our efforts are now to address the difficulties of those still displaced in camps and villages around Talafar," Ferdous al-Abadi, spokesperson for the IRCS, said. Some residents complained that some operations were still ongoing – making the city insecure. "My husband was killed inside Talafar a week ago. Today I went to check our house and see if everything was still there. I cannot stay there and [so I] returned to this camp because at least there is security here," said Samira Muhammad, 42, a tearful mother of four.
Starvation: The UN World Food Program (WFP) has warned that a 56 per cent funding shortfall is jeopardizing the agency’s emergency operation in Iraq aimed at supporting more than three million people - over half of them children.
Despite a recent donation of wheat flour from the Indian government (valued at US$2.5 million), the WFP’s US$66 million operation, which runs until the end of this year, has received only US$29 million, or 44 per cent of the funds required.
The WFP aims to assist over 1.7 million extremely impoverished primary school children, 220,000 malnourished children and their family members (totaling over 1.1 million), 350,000 pregnant and lactating women, and more than 6,000 tuberculosis patients.
WFP spokesperson Mia Turner told ISN Security Watch from the organization’s regional office in Cairo that there was no safety net in place should they fail to make up the shortfall in funding, and with so many other emergencies around the world, the WFP insisted there were no funds that could be diverted from other projects.
Analysis: The British government - and opposition - is in total denial. Ministerial boasts can't conceal the gloom of private briefings. Blair has done what no prime minister should do. He has put his soldiers at a foreign power's mercy. First that power was
Iraqis of my acquaintance are numb at the violence unleashed by the west's failure to impose order on their country. They are baffled at the ineptitude, the counter-productive cruelty of the arrests, bombings and suppressions. They are past caring whether it was better or worse under Saddam. They know only that more people a month are being killed than at any time since the massacres of the early 1990s. If death and destruction are any guide,
Infrastructure is not being restored.
British soldiers are in a war over whose course, conduct and outcome their leaders have no control. Their government's exit strategy is no longer realistic, indeed is dishonest. Talk of reducing troop levels from 8,000 to 3,000 next year has been abandoned. Everyone seems on the wrong planet. Meanwhile daily groping for good news and the sickening litany of the bad is reminiscent of
Editorial: We went into the Middle East with the same blinders we wore going into